RAPS is short for Regional Animal Protection Society, a registered charity and operator of a sanctuary which houses and cares for nearly 500 homeless or abandoned cats in Richmond, BC, Canada. The Neko Files is a celebration of the sanctuary and all those who live and work there.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dekka


 photo provided by RAPS

"I'm wild," reads the caption next to this photo on the RAPS sanctuary gallery page, "but I love chicken sooooo much, I'm almost ready to let my feeders pet me."



Dekka is one of the many ferals who love to be up on top of the cages where they can feel safe and keep a close eye on the movements of the bipeds.



Lately, Dekka & Co. have taken to whapping passers-by on the head if they catch wind of treats being handed out. Dekka is also not above engaging in gratuitous acts of cuteness to score a little extra something food-wise.




1 comment:

  1. Dekka was one of the first cats I met when I started to volunteer at the cat shelter. She was also new at the shelter and still living in a cage, where she looked so adorable that I just had to rush over to get a closer look. I was greeted with a loud hiss and emphatic spit - my introduction to feral cats! We've come a long way since then, Dekka and me, although not as far as I'd like. With the assistance of a great deal of tuna bribes, we got to the point a few years ago where she would allow head butts and nose rubs, even a little smooch to her head, all accompanied by loud purrs, but no petting allowed. After a few more years, we haven't made any more progress, much to my disappointment. I'll just have to take what I can get from Dekka and hope that someday she'll be brave enough to be petted.

    Marianne Moore

    ReplyDelete