RAPS is short for Regional Animal Protection Society, a registered charity and operator of a sanctuary which houses and cares for nearly 500 homeless or abandoned cats in Richmond, BC, Canada. The Neko Files is a celebration of the sanctuary and all those who live and work there.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Pearl

Pearl is a recent addition to the sanctuary. The words "a sweet, starved young adult" written on the sign outside her cage suggest her story is a sad one.



She came in as an unneutered stray, too thin to be spayed right away and too thin for anyone to be able to tell that she was pregnant with one little baby... which sadly couldn't be saved.

There's a reason that one thing animal welfare groups can all agree on is the importance of spaying/neutering. As a page on the subject from the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association says, "Pet owners must take responsibility for their companion animals by having them spayed or neutered." It goes on to talk about the various misfortunes that can befall an unsterilized pet, even one intended to be kept indoors, and ends with a reminder that "The safety of both male and female animals is dramatically increased if they are spayed or neutered."



On a happier note, Pearl is now doing very well. She really does have a sweet personality and spent much of my visit with her this evening upside down and purring. With this, her beautiful blue eyes, her luxurious coat and her young age, we've every confidence that she'll be adopted into a nice home very soon after the shelter staff have got her healthy enough to let her go.


8 comments:

  1. I think that's what Creampuff is supposed to look like, but then again there's a reason I love CP!! I saw Pearl last night. There's now a sign saying no tummy rubs!!! Under penalty of death or something to that effect...
    Ann J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I saw the sign warning that a solid nip would be in the very near future of anyone taking her up on the rub-my-tummy tease... But you can still see the scar from her operation, so I figure fair enough if she's a little touchy about that area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claire. My name is Michele and I do a bit of volunteer work at the cat sanctuary when I can. I have a few pictures up on my facebook site and if you would like to use some of them, I would like to share. Look for me on facebook under Michele Wright (if you are a member) and add me as a friend and you are free to use my pics. Debbie W. can vouch for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I can't believe how much weight she's put on. Think she'll get to Rita size???

    Ann J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope not, Ann! But it's so nice to see her not looking as emaciated as she did when she first came in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks so sweet. Where is she now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's in the kitten trailer and full of purrs.

    ReplyDelete