RAPS is short for Regional Animal Protection Society, a registered charity and operator of a sanctuary which houses and cares for nearly 500 homeless or abandoned cats in Richmond, BC, Canada. The Neko Files is a celebration of the sanctuary and all those who live and work there.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Baby

photo provided by Michele
I have two contradictory first impressions of Baby, one audio and one visual, that stick with me even now.

1 – Ann’s cheerful exclamation from an adjoining room: “BAAY-bee!”
2 – Me looking in to see what the fuss is about and finding a fluffy orange cat occupying the bathroom sink with an emphatic scowl


That kind of sums up Baby. He’s one of the cats featured in a RAPS blog entry from June of this year titled “Dr. Jeckyll and Mr (or Ms) Hyde Cats at the RAPS Cat Sanctuary.”

From that blog:

“Baby’s owners not only abandoned him at a boarding kennel, but they’d left a collar on him that was way too tight. No wonder he’s a grouch sometimes! With his long, ginger fur and sweet face, Baby is a very handsome cat but don’t be fooled – he has been known to give a nasty scratch to the shins of innocent passers-by. However, now that he knows he can trust us, Baby is becoming more friendly and much less unpredictable. He loves ear rubs and gentle petting, at least for a while. No collar for him though – never again, we promise!”
See also: Baby's story from The Love Blog


Ann seems to have good luck accessing his sweeter side, but Shannon and I aren’t so sure what we can expect from him on those days when he chooses to wander into the trailer where we’re doing our evening feeding and scooping. Even while I was taking his picture, he sat there looking at me, alternately going “meow?”… “grrrrrrrr”… “meow?”… “grrrrrrrr”…


So I get the Jeckyll & Hyde reference to be sure, and yet - 

Why is it that whenever I look at this picture...














... the image that first comes to mind is Brando's Colonel Kurtz in Apolcalypse Now?






5 comments:

  1. Oh Mah God! that is the funniest thing I have ever read!!!!!! But I tell you Claire, my time is coming! One day he will turn around and become the harbinger of my mass decimation!!
    Ann J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann - The horror! The horror!
    :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, sweet, sweet Baby! To some I am sure he is lovable. Me, he stalks every Friday morning as I work. After our first meeting more than a year ago, and the scars are still visable, Baby decided he did not like me, and I sensibly give him all the space he so desires. One day I hope that he and I can be friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well he was "slightly cranky" with me today. It appears I didn't give up the treats fast enough, so I got a paw on the nose, sans claws, amazingly enough. See he's working up to an all out frontal attack!!!
    Ann J

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still find him hard to read. Last time I was out there, I said "Hi" to him and he responded with this weird, drawn out "miirrrraowooorrrrrrooooorrraow."
    I like to think I'm reasonably fluent in cat, but I had absolutely no idea what he was trying to say to me.

    ReplyDelete