RAPS is short for Regional Animal Protection Society, a registered charity and operator of a sanctuary which houses and cares for nearly 500 homeless or abandoned cats in Richmond, BC, Canada. The Neko Files is a celebration of the sanctuary and all those who live and work there.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fergus

Fergus has been living in the New AIDS house for a few years, but you'd never know to look at him that he's FIV positive. He's a big, friendly black & white cat who loves nothing better than some quality lap time with one of his many human friends.

Claire, Fergus (center) and friends 
photo provided by Vincent

Just before the picture above was taken, I wanted to see how much time passed between when I sat down and when the first cat climbed into my lap. It took them the same amount of time it took me to lift my hand and look at my watch.



Fergus was having ear problems for a while there: infection, strange growths, concern over cancer... Fortunately, the growths turned out to be benign and Fergus only needed some antibiotics for the ear infection to fix him up. All of this necessitated a number of vet visits and tests though, which needed to be paid for.

RAPS is very lucky to have the support of the Helfer Wellness Fund, which was set up by Tricia Helfer (well known to Battlestar Galactica fans as Number 6) and her sister Tara to make sure that RAPS can give cats like Fergus the veterinary care they need. Check out the fund's blog for stories on Fergus, Sweet Pea and others.

4 comments:

  1. I love the FIV kitties in the new AIDS section, I visit them first when I arrive. Almost all of them are CUDDLE crazy and come for loves. I have a lot of great shots of them. I'm very fond of Baxter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Baxter very well yet. Fergus and Annie tend to monopolize me so much that I don't always get to visit with the others!

    btw - I just checked out your FIV cat set on Flickr and you do indeed have some great shots!
    (for anyone else reading this who wants to check these pics out, go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbaradoduk/sets/72157622316036221/)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe that this is the same cat pictured here from the skinny frail one I saw on Nov 10 2013. It's been over 4 years since the last post of this cat. I fear that this is the last one until he passes on.

    I have only been seeing these beautiful cats for the last few months but I always like to visit Fergus and Tanner . They are always purring and they seem happy to see me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Fergus is getting to be an old guy and is looking his age :(
      Great that you're having nice visits with him and Tanner -- I've sure they love it.

      Delete